On 28 May 2013 15:15, Robert Haas wrote:
On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 6:14 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:

I think the right way is actually to rethink and simplify all this
complexity of Freezing/Pruning/Hinting/Visibility
I agree, but I think that's likely to have to wait until we get a
pluggable storage API, and then a few years beyond that for someone to
develop the technology to enable the new and better way. In the
meantime, if we can eliminate or even reduce the impact of freezing in
the near term, I think that's worth doing.
I think we can do better more quickly than that.

Andres' basic idea of skipping freeze completely was a valuable one
and is the right way forwards. And it looks like the epoch based
approach that Heikki and I have come up seems likely to end up
somewhere workable.

--
  Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

grouppgsql-hackers @