On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 10:53:37AM +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
I consider this thread to be not thought-through, obviously.
My proposal has had lots of serious consideration, but that is not the
topic of this thread.

The title of the thread is a general one, with a clear objective.

I'm looking for a way forwards that allows us to introduce the changes
that many have proposed and which regrettably result in
incompatibilities. If we have no plan I think its likely it will never
happen and it is currently blocking useful change.

Please explain what you consider to be a better plan, so we can judge
all proposals together.
I agree with the idea of using logical replication as a way to do
pg_upgrade version-breaking releases. What I don't know is what
incompatible changes are pending that would require this.

   EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com