On 24 May 2013 17:00, Robert Haas wrote:
On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 11:29 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 10:53 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
[all-visible cannot restore hint bits without FPI because of torn pages]
I haven't yet thought about this sufficiently yet. I think we might have
a chance of working around this, let me ponder a bit.
Yeah. I too feel like there might be a solution. But I don't know
have something specific in mind, yet anyway.
One thought I had is that it might be beneficial to freeze when a page
ceases to be all-visible, rather than when it becomes all-visible.
Any operation that makes the page not-all-visible is going to emit an
FPI anyway, so we don't have to worry about torn pages in that case.
Under such a scheme, we'd have to enforce the rule that xmin and xmax
are ignored for any page that is all-visible; and when a page ceases
to be all-visible, we have to go back and really freeze the
pre-existing tuples. I think we might be able to use the existing
all_visible_cleared/new_all_visible_cleared flags to trigger this
behavior, without adding anything new to WAL at all.
I like the idea but it would mean we'd have to freeze in the
foreground path rather in a background path.

Have we given up on the double buffering idea to remove FPIs
completely? If we did that, then this wouldn't work.

Anyway, I take it the direction of this idea is that "we don't need a
separate freezemap, just use the vismap". That seems to be forcing
ideas down a particular route we may regret. I'd rather just keep
those things separate, even if we manage to merge the WAL actions for
most of the time.

Some other related thoughts:

ISTM that if we really care about keeping xids for debug purposes that
it could be a parameter. For the mainline, we just freeze blocks at
the same time we do page pruning.

I think the right way is actually to rethink and simplify all this
complexity of Freezing/Pruning/Hinting/Visibility

--
  Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

grouppgsql-hackers @
categoriespostgresql