On 3/25/13 8:25 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 11:35:35PM -0500, Jim Nasby wrote:
On 3/20/13 8:41 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
Also, if a users uses checksums in 9.3, could they initdb without
checksums in 9.4 and use pg_upgrade? As coded, the pg_controldata
checksum settings would not match and pg_upgrade would throw an
error, but it might be possible to allow this, i.e. you could go from
checksum to no checksum initdb clusters, but not from no checksum to
checksum. I am wondering if the patch should reflect this.
If the docs don't warn about this, they should, but I don't think it's
the responsibility of this patch to deal with that problem. The reason
I don't believe this patch should deal with it is because that is a
known, rather serious, limitation of pg_upgrade. It's something about
pg_upgrade that just needs to be fixed, regardless of what patches
might make the situation worse.
Huh? It wasn't a "serious limitation" of pg_upgrade until this patch.
What limitation does pg_upgrade have regardless of this patch?
The limitation that it depends on binary compatibility.

I suppose it's unfair to say that's a pg_upgrade limitation, but it's a certainly a limitation of Postgres upgrade capability. So far we've been able to skirt the issue but at some point we need to address this.