Hmm - just did a pull now:
$ initdb --version
initdb (PostgreSQL) 9.3devel
$ initdb --help
initdb initializes a PostgreSQL database cluster.

Usage:
    initdb [OPTION]... [DATADIR]

...[snipped rest of help output]

So looks like something odd you are doing - are you using any unusual
build options?

Cheers

Mark
On 27/02/13 11:16, Greg Smith wrote:
Here's a happy initdb on 9.1 providing help:

$ psql --version
psql (PostgreSQL) 9.1.8
$ /usr/pgsql-9.1/bin/initdb --help
initdb initializes a PostgreSQL database cluster.
Usage:
initdb [OPTION]... [DATADIR] ...

Here's what I get on the latest repo:

$ psql --version
psql (PostgreSQL) 9.3devel
$ initdb --help
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "gsmith".
The database cluster will be initialized with locale "en_US.UTF-8" ...

initdb --version does the same thing for me: ignores the command line
and just goes onward to create a new cluster. I checked a random, not
current 9.2 install and saw the same issue existed on that version too:

$ psql --version
psql (PostgreSQL) 9.2.1
$ initdb --help
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "gsmith".
The database cluster will be initialized with locale "en_US.UTF-8" ...

I would like for someone to tell me I'm doing something stupid and this
problem isn't really there going back to 9.2. The last potentially
related initdb change I found on a quick scan, from around the right
time period was the code refactoring of
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/E1TeYOX-0005W4-Kj@gemulon.postgresql.org
(there were a few additional initdb commits around then too)

grouppgsql-hackers @
categoriespostgresql
postedFeb 26, '13 at 10:16p
activeFeb 27, '13 at 2:25a