On 12/4/12 9:34 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 4:54 PM, Alexander Korotkov
wrote:
Patch completely changes storage in posting lists and leaf pages of posting
trees. It uses varbyte encoding for BlockNumber and OffsetNumber.
BlockNumber are stored incremental in page. Additionally one bit of
OffsetNumber is reserved for additional information NULL flag. To be able to
find position in leaf data page quickly patch introduces small index in the
end of page.
This sounds like it means that this would break pg_upgrade, about
which I'm not too keen. Ideally, we'd like to have a situation where
new indexes have additional capabilities, but old indexes are still
usable for things that they could do before. I am not sure whether
that's a realistic goal.
Is there a reason not to create this as a new type of index? "GIN2" or
whatever?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.