On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 10:07 PM, Kevin Grittner wrote:
... on a toy table with contrived values.  How different is this
from the often-asked question about why a query against a four-line
table is not using the index they expect, and how can we expect it
to scale if it doesn't?  I agree that it's not unreasonable for
someone to ask either question.  If my response falls short, I'm
game to try again.
I guess what surprises me about this a bit is that we have to
predicate-lock the whole table even if we're not actually looking at
all the rows. I can sort of see why that's necessary, but I'm a bit
fuzzy on the details, and it does seem a little unfortunate in this
instance...

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company