On Mon, 2010-05-03 at 23:36 -0400, Jan Wieck wrote:

Suppose we had something similar to the NULL value bitmap, specifying
plain or compressed values (not TOAST references), that are moved to a
shadow tuple inside the toast table. Suppose further we had some
statistics about how often attributes appear in a qualification (i.e.
end up in a scan key or scan filter or other parts of the qual
expression list). Not sure, maybe we even want to know how often or
seldom an attribute is heap_getattr()'d at all. Those don't need to be
accurate counts. Small random samples will probably do. ANALYZE could
evaluate those statistics and adjust the "shadow" storage settings per
attribute accordingly.

I can imagine many applications, where this would shrink the main
tuples to almost nothing at all.
Automatic vertical partitioning. Like it.

TODO item for further detailed research.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com

grouppgsql-hackers @
categoriespostgresql