On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 2:12 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
While reviewing Pavel's patch for variable quoting in psql, I came
upon the following comment in psqlscan.l:
/*
* The variable value is just emitted without any
* further examination.  This is consistent with the
* pre-8.0 code behavior, if not with the way that
* variables are handled outside backslash commands.
*/
I cannot figure out for the life of me what this is referring to.
At the other place where :foo is expanded, the value is pushed for
re-scanning; thus for example ":bar" within the variable value
might be further expanded as a reference to some other variable.
Inside backslash commands we don't do that but just take the value
literally.
Ah, makes sense. Thanks.

...Robert

grouppgsql-hackers @