Marko Kreen wrote:
On 11/10/07, Bruce Momjian wrote:
OK, first question. How would someone have the 8.0 signatures in 8.2?
Don't they reinstall pgcrypto for every major release?
Why reinstall if the functions come from dump?

At least in skype we stumbled on the problem. But if the reinstall
is widespread practice, then indeed it may not be worth bothering.
I assumed that the /contrib modules changed enough that people would
always reinstall them for a major release. However, I don't know how to
excluded them from dumps. If you don't have the pgcrypto library
installed I think the CREATE FUNCTIONs fail because there is no library.

The strange thing is we have never gotten too many complaints about
upgrading the /contrib stuff, which is kind of odd. We have talked
about putting each /contrib in its own schema so it could be easily
excluded but that never happened. Putting all the contribs in one
schema might be a good middle ground.

grouppgsql-hackers @
categoriespostgresql
postedAug 23, '07 at 11:50p