Alvaro Herrera wrote:
If something is not going a work (or is going a work in a different
way) in some version after loading a shot form a previous one I think
it should be documented or some kind of backwards compatibility
mechanism should be provided.
That's a valid complaint and I take the blame.

The problem was that such "evolution" was not actually planned.
So when I noticed the 8.2 commit, I did not think of the implications
hard enough to realize the need for release note for it.

Tom, how about putting a note about that into next 8.2 minor
release notes? (8.3 too?) Something like "You need to refresh
pgcrypto functions, because since rel 8.2 the code depends
on functions being tagged STRICT."
Seems 8.2.5 was released without this release notes mention, but we
haven't gotten any complaints about it so perhaps we don't need to add
anything.
Huh, I see exactly that complaint above.
My point is that we can't mention it in the release notes until 8.2.6.
Will there still be people who are having an issue with it who haven't
found the problem already? And if we put it in 8.2.6, it really was
effective for 8.2 so we just mention it in 8.2.6 and say it applies to
8.2.X too?

grouppgsql-hackers @
categoriespostgresql
postedAug 23, '07 at 11:50p