On 8/24/07, Manuel Sugawara wrote:
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
Manuel Sugawara <masm@fciencias.unam.mx> writes:
"Marko Kreen" <markokr@gmail.com> writes:
In 8.0 the pgcrypto functions were non-strict and checked for NULLs.
In 8.1 they were made STRICT.
In 8.2 the NULL check were removed from code.
Not an smart move IMHO, I didn't create the function, it was created
as part of my upgrade process. May I suggest to put back the check?.
That's the standard way of doing things in C functions (ie, rely on
STRICT markings) and I see nothing wrong with it.

If you were using an upgrade process that failed to incorporate
version-to-version changes in the definitions of contrib functions,
this is hardly going to be the only problem you encounter.
I was under the impression that the standar procedure for upgrading
was to read the release notes searching for this kind of gotchas. I've
reviewed (again) the release notes for 8.1 and 8.2 and didn't find
anything related but maybe I'm not searching hard enough.

If something is not going a work (or is going a work in a different
way) in some version after loading a shot form a previous one I think
it should be documented or some kind of backwards compatibility
mechanism should be provided.
That's a valid complaint and I take the blame.

The problem was that such "evolution" was not actually planned.
So when I noticed the 8.2 commit, I did not think of the implications
hard enough to realize the need for release note for it.

Tom, how about putting a note about that into next 8.2 minor
release notes? (8.3 too?) Something like "You need to refresh
pgcrypto functions, because since rel 8.2 the code depends
on functions being tagged STRICT."

--
marko

grouppgsql-hackers @