Thanks to everybody who answered.

Maybe it is really the best thing to use a tool like postgresql-relay or
pgpool - I will investigate these.
I'm not eager to reinvent the wheel.

We have considered relocating DNS entries, but the problem is that a
changed
DNS entry takes long to propagate; in particular Windows has a caching
problem there.

Thank you also for drawing my attention to pg_service.conf - I have not
been aware of it.
There are two 'shortcomings':
- It still means that you have to change the config file on every
client.
- This feature cannot be used with psql or ecpg, right?

Do you think that it is worth the effort for me to look into extending
the
pg_service.conf/PGSYSCONFDIR approach to LDAP (and changing psql to use
it)?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

grouppgsql-hackers @