Stephen Frost wrote:
* Martijn van Oosterhout (kleptog@svana.org) wrote:

Perhaps you should look into pg_service.conf. It's a configuration file
such that in your connect line you can say:

PQconnect("service=production");

and in the config file you say:

[production]
host=db1
port=5434
dbname=main

It's not quite as nice as LDAP to be sure, but it might work well
enough for your config. For example, you could write a program to
generate that file from an LDAP database.
If LDAP is really what you're after, though, it seems to me one approach
that would involve changing only libpq (I think...) would be to support
having the 'pg_service.conf' in LDAP, essentially. Perhaps with a
seperate namespace (ie: "service=ldap:production"), or maybe as a
fall-back if the name isn't found in a local pg_service.conf.

The location of pg_service.conf is governed by the environment variable
PGSYSCONFDIR. Maybe there should be a facility allow it to point to a
URL which is fetched via libcurl. Then you could have it point to LDAP,
a web server, a tftp server ... lots of places.

cheers

andrew

grouppgsql-hackers @
categoriespostgresql