On Tue, 5 Apr 2005, Tom Lane wrote:

CREATE FUNCTION sum_n_product(x int, y int, OUT sum int, OUT prod int) AS $$
BEGIN
sum := x + y;
prod := x * y;
RETURN;
END;
$$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;

The RETURN statement is kinda useless in this example, but it is still
required, because we don't allow control to fall off the end of a
plpgsql function without causing an error.

I am thinking we should allow exit by falling off the end of the
function when (a) it has output parameter(s), or (b) it is declared
"RETURNS void". Comments?
The above code example do not have any RETURNS clause, does that mean that
it defaults to RETURNS void?

I don't see what (a) has to do with anything. The return value is
independent of in/out:ness of the parameters, isn't it?

--
/Dennis Björklund

grouppgsql-hackers @
categoriespostgresql