At 08:00 AM 26/10/2004, Tom Lane wrote:
I don't want a GUC variable that actively changes the default
tablespace; at least not unless you want to abandon the current
mechanisms for default tablespace choices entirely, and go over to
making the GUC variable be the sole arbiter.
Something consistent with Schemas does sound good to me; a tablespace
search path (or just single default), and support for a TABLESPACE clause
on table and INDEX definitions would be good.

For the three largest databases I work on, the namespace/schema that a
table resides in is irrelevant to the tablespace that it should be stored
in. So default tablespaces on the schema are a bit of a pointless feature.
The ability to have the features of schemas: default tablespace for given
users, a GUC variable, and ACLs on tablespaces would be far more valuable.

Philip Warner | __---_____
Albatross Consulting Pty. Ltd. |----/ - \
(A.B.N. 75 008 659 498) | /(@) ______---_
Tel: (+61) 0500 83 82 81 | _________ \