On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 21:18, Bruce Momjian wrote:
Simon Riggs wrote:
Oracle uses ROLLBACK TO SAVEPOINT...identical pretty much.
I thouht ROLLBACK was different from RELEASE, no? I see ROLLBACK used
in SQL99 for savepoints:

ROLLBACK [ WORK ] [ AND [ NO ] CHAIN ]
[ <savepoint clause> ]

RELEASE only discards the savepoint name, I thought.
ERR-OHH Yes, dead right. Forgive my confusion, I knew there was
something different about Oracle's support of RELEASE. Check out:

https://cwisdb.cc.kuleuven.ac.be/ora10doc/server.101/b10759/ap_standard_sql001.htm

last thing on page...
Oracle's support of autonomous transactions looks to be identical to
nested transactions (Alvaro's advice required there...). They don't
allow you to explicitly call them, but you can use BEGIN/COMMIT in a
host program that calls a stored procedure, which also contains
BEGIN/COMMIT, effectively giving nested txns.
Oracle has nested transactions too? Can you supply an example?
It's hard to quote a short example.... so try this link instead

http://www.hk8.org/old_web/oracle/guide8i/ch02_05.htm

Wasn't there some description of autonomous transactions on the stuff I
sent previously?

Best Regards, Simon Riggs