On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 11:45, Andreas Pflug wrote:
Simon Riggs wrote:
ISTM - my summary would be
1. We seem to agree we should support SAVEPOINTs

2. We seem to agree that BEGIN/COMMIT should stay unchanged...

With savepoints, it looks pretty strange:

BEGIN;
SAVEPOINT x1;
INSERT INTO ...;
SAVEPOINT x2;
INSERT INTO ...;
SAVEPOINT x3;
INSERT INTO ...;

This isn't how you would use SAVEPOINTs...look at this...

BEGIN
display one screen to user - book the flight
INSERT INTO ...
INSERT INTO ...
UPDATE ...
SAVEPOINT
display another related screen - book the hotel
INSERT INTO
DELETE
UPDATE
UPDATE
SAVEPOINT
offer confirmation screen
COMMIT (or ROLLBACK)
No, SAVEPOINT is not some kind of intermediate commit, but a point where
a rollback can rollback to.
Hmmm....I'm not sure what you mean by "No". The SAVEPOINT is somewhere
you can ROLLBACK to, yes - exactly what I'm saying.

I've not introduced any concept of "intermediate commit"...

Do you agree that my example is valid Oracle SQL?

Best Regards, Simon Riggs