On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 23:40, Mike Mascari wrote:
Simon Riggs wrote:
...Nobody is shouting YES, so its a dodo...
The point at which the above process becomes
too complex (or less than obvious) for hand-recovery is precisely
when unforeseen consequences of nixing a single transaction become
too great.
Agreed. The potential for unforeseen consequences is just too high, and
although I'm fairly sure they would always be spotted during recovery
and cause an error - I think it is something that requires proof. And I
don't have that. So, lets leave that idea alone for 100 years.
... hand-recovery ...
hmmm...not sure I know what you mean.

It is very-very-close-to-impossible to edit the transaction logs
manually, unless some form of special-format editor were written for the
purpose.

Is it clear that the PITR features are completely different from
pg_dump? (Which would allow a manual edit and recover). The xlogs are
binary files that refer to all changes to all tables in a cluster
ordered by time, rather than by table.

Best regards, Simon Riggs

grouppgsql-hackers @
categoriespostgresql