On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 18:26, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
On Tue, 1 Jun 2004, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
Just so that everyone is aware, we are going to push the freeze date
for 7.5 to July 1st.

Although we feel that there are enough improvements and features
already in place for 7.5, Tom's felt that if we gave it that extra
month, we could also have PITR in place for 7.5 ...

If anyone is working on other features that they feel can be
polished off before the July 1st deadline, we would be most happy to
incorporate those as well, but do recommend submitting patches for
review *sooner*, rather then later, so that any recommended
corrections can be addressed before teh deadline.
I welcome this, as I always thought June 1 was too soon. However, I
think that the process by which the date was eventually arrived at
was unfortunate.

I would modestly suggest that there should be a minimum period of
notice of a feature freeze - 6 weeks or 2 months seems about right to
me, given the

Oh, you mean the original freeze date that was set at the start of the
dev cycle 6 months ago?
I am far from being the only person to whom this was less than clear. I
also know that when I discussed this with one or two members of the core
team *they* were not clear about it either.

Maybe I missed something in an email somewhere ...
The June 1st date was first mentioned on list in mid-March (to me), but
wasn't generally announced until May under a specific heading. If it was
set in January, I was never knowingly party to that info.

Major-architectural changes notwithstanding, xlog archiving was
originally completed in late April, having started in Feb.

A published schedule might have helped all of us to understand the
impact of an extra weeks discussion etc..

Personally, I feel I had good notice, but that doesn't mean it was
possible for me to finish by that time...

Best Regards, Simon Riggs

grouppgsql-hackers @
categoriespostgresql
postedMay 31, '04 at 6:10p