On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 16:09, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
Simon Riggs wrote:
I'd suggest extending the CHECKPOINT command so you can say:
CHECKPOINT <text message>
e.g. CHECKPOINT 'starting payroll Feb04';
(I'm sure some other DBMS does this...head spinning can;t recall...)
the text could just appear in the xlog record data packet...
I believe you are thinking of a savepoint rather than a checkpoint.
Perhaps that was the inspiration, but no, I definitely meant a
CHECKPOINT.

But now you come to mention it, it would be better just to have a
command that simply wrote a named record to the xlog, so it can be
searched for later...

COMMENT [IN TRANSACTION LOG] 'starting payroll Feb04'

Best Regards, Simon Riggs