On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 20:50, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:

Merlin Moncure wrote:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
Yes, it was vague. The question is now that we are a month away, do we
want to target June 1, mid-June, or July 1.
If I may humbly chime in here...there currently is no binary packing for
the win32 port. Magnus is currently working on an installer/service
manager (dubbed 'longer term' on the status page) that would be nice to
see make it in before the feature freeze. Based on the current rate of
development, finishing this and various other sundry issues (even
allowing for corrections within the beta period) within a month involves
a fair degree of optimism. In short, speaking strictly from a win32
perspective, a June 1 date will probably be missed.
Well, if Win32 doesn't complete by June 1, do we still do the feature
freeze? I don't want to be adding features after the freeze, that is
for sure. When we have done that in the past, it has caused problems
because some stuff gets in to make the system unstable, but other stuff
gets left out.
That is something that should be discussed a couple of days before June
1st, when we have a clearer idea of just how far off Win32 will be ...
right now, if Win32 is *that* far off the June 1st mark, I'd say
definitely to a feature freeze, as much as I'd like to see the Win32
features in ...
Completely agree - I've been working to that timescale since March.

This is probably the determining factor as to whether the release number
is 7.5 or 8.0?

What I would add is: if PITR and Win32 do make it into the release, I
would strongly urge for an extended beta period. It would not prove good
press if 100,000 new Windows users tripped over on various issues, nor
even 1 press-worthy user was unable to recover correctly.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs