On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 21:56, Rod Taylor wrote:
Overall, I'd refer back to the points Bruce raised - you certainly do
need a way of finding out the time to recover to, and as others have
said also, time isn't the only desirable "recovery point".
Wouldn't it be sufficient to simply use the transaction ID and ensure
that all the parameters the user might want to use to find that ID can
be made available in the log files?
Yes, of course, all methods of locating a particular xlog file to stop
at are effectively equivalent. The discussion is mostly about what is
convenient for the user in a real recovery situation.
From all that has been said so far, I would implement:
1. Recovery to a specific txnid, which is fairly straightforward
2. Recovery to a specific date/time
a) either by implementing a log inspection tool that shows the txnid for
a PIT
b) implementing recovery to a PIT directly
3. Recovery to a named checkpoint

Best Regards, Simon Riggs