On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 23:11, Rod Taylor wrote:
On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 17:36, Simon Riggs wrote:
On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 21:56, Rod Taylor wrote:
Overall, I'd refer back to the points Bruce raised - you certainly do
need a way of finding out the time to recover to, and as others have
said also, time isn't the only desirable "recovery point".
Wouldn't it be sufficient to simply use the transaction ID and ensure
that all the parameters the user might want to use to find that ID can
be made available in the log files?
Yes, of course, all methods of locating a particular xlog file to stop
at are effectively equivalent. The discussion is mostly about what is
convenient for the user in a real recovery situation.
I see.. The first thing I would need to do is look at /var/log/pgsql. At
that point it really doesn't matter what the identifier is so long as
the identifier is there.
PITR works on the assumption that /var/log/pgsql no longer exists at
all. It is suitable for use in bare-metal recovery situations, as well
as usage-induced situations.

You pick up the pieces, work out what the best identifier is, then plan
on using that.... might not be a pgsql log, it might be:
i) literally wallclock - "power went off about 2"
ii) other systems logs
iii) etc

Best Regards, Simon Riggs