Joe Conway wrote
Tom Lane wrote:
Personally I rely quite a lot on setting PGDATA to keep
straight which
installation I'm currently working with, so I'm not going
to be happy
with a redesign that eliminates that variable without providing an
adequate substitute :-(
I'll second that.
Very much agreed. PGDATA is important, lets keep it, please.

For one thing, this type of mechanism is already used by Oracle, with
ORACLE_SID and ORACLE_HOME.

[It might not work like Apache, but IMHO this is less relevant. Apache
isn't typically configured by DBAs. PostgreSQL is, and familiar concepts
from other industry areas are probably more important to the success of
pg than conformance to internet/LINUX norms.]

Best Regards, Simon Riggs