Neil Conway writes:
(1) Add a GUC var, with a name such as "default_use_oids", defaulting to
true. This controls whether a CREATE TABLE that doesn't include WITH or
WITHOUT OIDS gets created with OIDs.
This I think was pretty noncontroversial.
(2) When dumping a table, spit out a "SET default_use_oids = xxx" before
the CREATE TABLE. This means that if a table was previously created WITH
OIDS (either explicitly or by default), it will continue to have OIDs
when the dump is restored (regardless of the default value of the GUC
var). We could specify WITH or WITHOUT OIDS as part of the CREATE TABLE
itself, but there were objections earlier about maintaining the
cleanliness of the SQL produced by pg_dump:
It doesn't seem to me that this really buys much. What we really want
is a way for a dump/reload to remove OIDs from tables that formerly had
them; otherwise people will not easily be able to migrate their existing
tables away from having OIDs.
... and a single SET can apply to
multiple CREATE TABLEs.
Not unless you want partial pg_restores to break.

regards, tom lane

grouppgsql-hackers @
categoriespostgresql
postedSep 29, '03 at 9:34p