Joe Conway writes:
[ what about autoloading libraries into the postmaster? ]
I can see a couple possible downsides: (a) the library might have some
weird behavior across fork boundaries; (b) the additional memory space
that has to be duplicated into child processes will cost something per
child launch, even if the child never uses it. But these are only
arguments that it might not *always* be a prudent thing to do, not that
we shouldn't give the DBA the tool to do it if he wants. So fire away.

(I seem to recall Peter muttering about linking plperl, pltcl, etc
statically into the backend; which would reduce the need for this.
But it would not eliminate it ... and he hasn't done it anyway...)

regards, tom lane

grouppgsql-hackers @
categoriespostgresql
postedFeb 13, '03 at 4:17a