Jim Mercer writes:
i had several concurrent processes which would do inserts via COPY and
queries.
on that system, i don't recall the COPY processes as being blocked by the
query processes.
now i'm running that app on solaris 7 with pgsql 7.0.
i'm finding that a big long select is blocking other processes which
are doing COPY's.
Hmm. In 7.0, COPY IN acquires an exclusive lock on the target table,
which is something I put in in a fit of paranoia. It may not really
be necessary --- probably a regular write lock would be good enough.
OK, fix committed. Jim, if you're in a hurry for this fix, just change
AccessExclusiveLock to RowExclusiveLock at line 289 of
backend/commands/copy.c.
FYI, I have been telling people to grab tomorrow's snapshot from
ftp:/pub/dev if they need changes that have been applied. At this
point, we don't have any funny stuff in the cvs tree.

pgman@candle.pha.pa.us | (610) 853-3000

grouppgsql-hackers @
categoriespostgresql
postedMay 17, '00 at 11:45p