On 07/06/12 5:51 PM, ach wrote:
My fastest postgresql servers have everything on one raid10, using 16 or
20 15000 rpm SAS2 drives on a 1gb flash-backed cache controller.
Thank you - that affirms what'd been my own growing supposition, and the
plan
why?
Really? ...Well, I mean, I'd just been going with what I'd seen asserted as
the solid baseline position: WAL should be on its own separate drive,
devoid of any interference and/or interruption other than just writing WAL.
To see that challenged is surprising; are you saying my interpretation on
that point would be incorrect, and that assumption would be wrong?
putting everything on a single large raid10 ensures the IO is evenly
distributed across all spindles, given enough workload to keep that many
concurrent IOs active.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

grouppgsql-general @
categoriespostgresql
postedJul 6, '12 at 5:05p
activeJul 7, '12 at 1:15p
websitepostgresql.org
irc#postgresql

3 users in discussion

John R Pierce: 2 posts Ach: 2 posts Joe Miller: 1 post