On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 12:40:41PM -0800, Glen Parker wrote:
But now, pull the drive from port 2 and boot the system. You will now
have SDA,SDB,SDC. The kernel will now fail BOTH of the last two drives
from the RAID array. The one that was SDC is gone, and obviously fails.
The one that was SDD is now SDC, so its ID doesn't match what the
kernel thought it should be, so it fails it too. If you kill the FIRST
drive in the array, I believe the entire array becomes inoperable
because of the resulting shift and ID mismatch.
Is that really so? AIUI the position of the disk in the array is stored
on the disk itself, so it should be able to handle disks moving around
no problem, have you tried it?
So the question is, is there some way to "pin" a drive to a device
mapping? In other words, is there a way to force the drive on port 0 to
always be SDA, and the drive on port 2 to always be SDC, even if the
drive on port 1 fails or is pulled?
I thought you could do this with options on the command-line, or using
udev. But I don't think it's actually necessary.

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org> http://svana.org/kleptog/
From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.