Ian Lea wrote:

The advantage of setting it high is that you'll use less disk space
and have fewer files to archive.

The disadvantage of setting it high is that you might lose more data.
This is not *entirely* true. The archive_timeout setting only indicates the
time at which a new WAL archive is forced, no matther how much data has been
written. If a WAL file fills up before the timeout is reached, it will fire
the archive_command immediately and the timeout "timer" is reset.

For example, we have a primary database instance where we see the
archive_command fire every 1-2 minutes during peak, but our archive_timeout
is set to 15 minutes. This ensures that the secondary database instance is
getting updated even when there's not enough write traffic to fill up a WAL
file.

--Matthew Wood