Grokbase Groups Pig user July 2011
Merging: doesn't actually speed things up all that much; reduces load
on the Namenode, and speeds up job initialization some. You don't have
to do it on the namenode itself. Neither do you have to do copying on
the NN. In fact, don't do anything but run the NameNode on the
namenode.

Pig jobs can transparently merge small jobs into larger chunks, so you
won't be stuck with 11K mappers.

Don't copy to local an then run SQL loader. Use Sqoop export, and load
directly from Hadoop.

You cannot append to a file that already exists in the cluster. This
will be available in one of the coming Hadoop releases. You can
certainly create a new file in a directory, and load whole
directories.

-D