Grokbase Groups Pig user April 2011
Okay, I started to read the source of pig and hadoop-common

the problem was not in pig.jar

it was in the hadoop-common.

in order to get my code to work the conf directory did not need to be in the
classpath, but the bootclasspath -Xbootclasspath/a:<dir>

you append this inside your code in the
System.setProperty("sun.boot.class.path", System.getProperty( ... ), <dir>)

after doing that, my code would then work.