Grokbase Groups Pig user October 2010
AFAIK no one is working on that currently. Our next thoughts on
optimizer improvement were to start using the new optimizer framework
in the MR optimizer so we can bring some order to the madness of
visitors that is the MR optimizer. I think Thejas plans on starting
work on that in 0.9.

In the long run many people have discussed having a cost based
optimizer, but I have not seen any proposals of how it should work.
With the advent of Howl it would seem that at least basic statistic
based decisions could be made in the optimizer: is one of the files
small enough to use a replicated join in this case? is the file
already sorted so we can use a merge join?.

It would be great if you're interested in working in this area. The
best way to start is file a JIRA or start a wiki page with general
approach and design information.

Alan.