hooray!
On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 4:24 PM, Alan Gates wrote:

On Sep 29, 2010, at 3:46 PM, hc busy wrote:

I thought map can only take bytearray as value type?
No, it can take any type as a value. There are just a number of places
where Pig assumes it is a byte array and then does the wrong thing (like if
you try to order by it). If the user just dereferences the object as if it
were a tuple or a map then Pig should implicitly cast it and do the right
thing.

As a side note, we plan to fix the bad byte array assumptions issues in Pig
0.9. See in particular https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-1281,
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-1065, and
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-999.

Alan.