On Sep 29, 2010, at 3:46 PM, hc busy wrote:

I thought map can only take bytearray as value type?
No, it can take any type as a value. There are just a number of
places where Pig assumes it is a byte array and then does the wrong
thing (like if you try to order by it). If the user just dereferences
the object as if it were a tuple or a map then Pig should implicitly
cast it and do the right thing.

As a side note, we plan to fix the bad byte array assumptions issues
in Pig 0.9. See in particular https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-1281
, https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-1065, and https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-999
.

Alan.