From: Daniel Dai <jianyong@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject: Re: Java heap issue
To: "pig-user@hadoop.apache.org" <pig-user@hadoop.apache.org>
Date: Friday, May 7, 2010, 10:58 PM

I suspect it is because of the distinct combiner. Try the option -Dpig.exec.nocombiner=true on the command line, see if it works.

Daniel

Kelvin Moss wrote:
HI all,
I had a Pig script that worked completely fine. I called a memory intensive UDF that brought some 600 MB data into each mapper. However, I was able to process and write results. My mapper memory is 4096 MB. My HDFS block size is 128 MB.  My input dataset (on a given date) is big enough to cause some 960 mappers.  A = load 'input data set' ..;
B = load 'smaller data set'..;
C = JOIN A by key, B by key using "replicated";
D = foreach C generate field1, MyUDF(field2) as field2;
E = store D into 'deleteme';
As you can see it is a Map only process. My output is some 960 part files with each file being around 25-35 MB.
I do processing for each day. I now have a requirement to merge the results of the above processing with results from another date and store unique results.
I added the following lines F = 'load previous date data'..;
G = union E, F;
H = distinct G parallel $X;
store H into 'deleteme_H';
When I add these steps to my process I get errors like "Java heap issue" in the mapper phase. I made F to be a null data set but I am still getting the same error. I wonder why I am getting "Java heap" errors. Is the solution to increase the mapper memory further down?
Thanks!

groupuser @
categoriespig, hadoop
postedMay 7, '10 at 8:56a