Grokbase Groups Pig user January 2010
Thanks Jeff, you have pointed me in the right direction, but I'm not there yet. I wrote a load function as you suggested to load the bucket values into a DataBag, but the flatten/group step is not generating the results I am after. The groups only seem to include the first element of the bucket tuple.

I interpreted your code example to show loading an inner bag b with tuple t and I assumed 'bucket' was the variable number of values in tuple t. So here is real data loaded in that way. Note I have more values than in my original example, but the bag/tuple are the last elements:

(www,home,,,,Hidden1:1,693,ar,us,,2009,693,US:AR,US,{(10001)})
(www,home,,,,PdSearch,535,oh,us,,2009,527,US:IN,US,{(10001,10051,10040)})
(www,home,,,,WXPartner3,632,il,us,,2009,632,US:IL,US,{(10001,10048,10038)})
(www,home,,,,HeaderSpon:1,,,,,2009,506,US:MA,US,{()})
(www,fcst,trvl,btrav,,PageSpon,618,tx,us,,2009,618,US:TX,US,{(10001)})
(www,fcst,trvl,btrav,36hr,PageCounter,515,oh,us,,2009,515,US:OH,US,{(10001,70002,70121,70012,10051,10040)})

As you can see, some rows have 0 elements in the tuple, and others several. What I am trying to get is a 'cross' on a per row basis such that a row with 3 'bucket' elements is converted to 3 rows, 1 for each of the bucket elements.

so a rows like

(A,B,C,D,{(1,2,3)})
(E,F,G,H,{(1,2,4,5)})

would convert to

(A,B,C,D,1)
(A,B,C,D,2)
(A,B,C,D,3)
(E,F,G,H,1)
(E,F,G,H,2)
(E,F,G,H,4)
(E,F,G,H,5)

And I then do a group on those rows. Any ideas on how to achieve that transformation?

Thanks,
Scott