From: Yiping Han
Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 2:25 PM
To: pig-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: How are you using Pig?

Avram,

Your tutorial.jar should be put on local filesystem on the node where you
launch your pig job. Pig will pack it and deliver it to every tasktracker.

--Yiping

On 3/17/09 2:15 PM, "Avram Aelony" wrote:

Hello Pig list,

I wish I could count myself among "pig users" but at this point my experience
is that small test files work well, but pig will generally complain when
presented with real data. When pig complains, it is difficult to tell why.

The most dreaded error that I do not understand is the "Unable to open
iterator" error where pig will run for a while then fail in the reducer steps.
Can you recommend steps on how to determine the cause for this error and how
to fix?

Another problem I run into is that sometimes I can register UDF jar files, and
at other times Pig refuses to read the jar file. I don't believe the jar file
to be at fault. To illustrate this point, below I try to register the
tutorial.jar file that is distributed with pig.

grunt> register tutorial.jar
2009-03-17 13:57:53,430 [main] ERROR org.apache.pig.tools.grunt.GruntParser -
java.io.IOException: Can't read jar file: tutorial.jar
at org.apache.pig.PigServer.registerJar(PigServer.java:242)
at
org.apache.pig.tools.grunt.GruntParser.processRegister(GruntParser.java:158)
at
org.apache.pig.tools.pigscript.parser.PigScriptParser.parse(PigScriptParser.ja
va:246)
at
org.apache.pig.tools.grunt.GruntParser.parseContOnError(GruntParser.java:91)
at org.apache.pig.tools.grunt.Grunt.run(Grunt.java:54)

2009-03-17 13:57:53,430 [main] ERROR org.apache.pig.tools.grunt.GruntParser -
java.io.IOException: Can't read jar file: tutorial.jar

Note that the tutorial.jar file is readily visible via ls and the file was put
into hdfs via copyFromLocal. I have tried permissions of 777 and 775 on the
jar file and it does not resolve the issue.

My feeling is that until pig becomes more user-friendly, fewer people will use
it.

Thanks for your help.

Avram
Yiping Han