I would think this should be broken into front-end and back-end. The point
being that if you are writing a UDF and you get a Jetty conflict at compile
time, it's probably a good thing to know because you will get it at runtime.
(I realize the example of Jetty in a UDF is a bit far fetched :)

I imagine that eventually Hadoop will get a real class manager and then this
will not be an issue. (I seem to remember an OSGi patch a while ago.) If you
are not careful, you will trade a compile time problem for a runtime problem.

ben