Grokbase Groups Pig dev March 2013
FAQ
Roman and Mark,
Joining Bill here in thanking you for BigTop and all the integration work
you guys do.

Since this issue came up so late (after the vote), and, while it does
affect people trying to build an rpm, does not affect people just using Pig
jars, etc, I'd move to release 0.11.1 and consider the changes for 0.11.2.
I suspect we'll have a .2 release -- 0.12 has a lot of new stuff, so people
will likely stay on 11 for a while waiting for 12 to stabilize, and we'll
see more bugfix patches.

Using BigTop to validate an RC automatically would be great, let us know
what we can do to make that happen.

Best,
-D

On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 8:11 PM, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:

Hi Bill!

Thanks a million for chiming in!
On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 11:42 AM, Bill Graham wrote:
Thanks for the work you're doing to support Pig in BigTop. Starting with
Pig 0.12, our release process will be simplified to not include rpm/deb
packages, thanks to BigTop.
On a related note -- we're trying to work on a model where Bigtop
could be utilized as RC (and pre-RC) integration validation framework.
The gist of the idea is pretty simple -- we're planning to use the
last stable build of Bigtop (e.g. 0.6.0) and keep revving up one
single component (lets say Pig) following the trunk/branch development.
Hopefully that way all the integration problems could be uncovered
earlier in the game.

Drop us a note if you guys would be interested. This is, obviously,
a two way street -- Bigtop can provide the framework, but we
need your expertise in triaging problems as they arise.
I've built Pig on a multiple RHEL versions so this issue might not be as
broadly spanning as you describe. The RPMs for 0.11.0 and 0.11.1 were both
built on rhel5 instances from ec2 (ami-2d8e4c44).
Here's the map of affected Linux platforms:

http://bigtop01.cloudera.org:8080/view/Bigtop-trunk/job/Bigtop-trunk-Pig/

Feel free to see the build logs. Also, if you, interested, I can give
you karma to poke around Bigtop's Jenkins.

The AMIs are all stock AMIs produced either by the corresponding
Linux vendor (Fedora, OpenSUSE) or RightScale.

As such, it seems that chance of unsuspecting users running into
this issue with the build are pretty high.
That said, if the Pig community feels strongly that we should cancel the
release and re-issue a new one, I'm fine with shepherding that process.
It would be extremely appreciated if you guys could go through the trouble
of spinning up a new RC. This is, of course, your decision but we'd be
willing
to help to the extent we can.

As Mark mentioned -- the risk of the respin is pretty small -- the affected
changes are all build files and they are localized to contrib. Of course,
any RC is quite a bit of work.

Thanks,
Roman.

Search Discussions

Discussion Posts

Previous

Follow ups

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
posts ‹ prev | 3 of 4 | next ›
Discussion Overview
groupdev @
categoriespig, hadoop
postedMar 30, '13 at 12:41a
activeApr 2, '13 at 12:49a
posts4
users3
websitepig.apache.org

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2021 Grokbase