hi,
On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 1:00 AM, inhahe wrote:
I'm running phpBB3, and when it tries to send an email I get this error:
SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate verify failed

I tried getting help in #phpbb and on their message board, but nobody could
help me. I think this is probably more a problem with my PHP setup than with
phpBB3 specifically anyway.

The line that it reports the error at is this:

$smtp->socket = fsockopen($config['smtp_host'], $config['smtp_port'],
$errno, $errstr, 20);

Could that be an actual OpenSSL/certificate issue, or does that just mean
that php can't open internet sockets?

Someone suggested to me that maybe the server uses a self-signed certificate
Most like yes,this is what the message says:

error:14090086:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate
verify failed

the verification failed, not the reading of the certificate (as in
network issues).
or that the certificate doesn't exist on my Windows box, but the server is
AT&T - specifically outbound.att.net - wouldn't that be big enough that I
wouldn't have those problems? Also, I've gotten this problem with several
other SMTP servers I've tried. I've never been able to connect to a single
one out of about 5-6 I tried, with dozens of variations of connection
settings, though error messages varied.. I've gotten about 5 different error
messages, though "certificate verify failed" was by far the most common.

Should I try to get the server's certificate somehow and put that in my
system manually? If so, how do I get the server's certificate and how do I
put it in my system?
If it is not self signed but your local certificate storage is not up
to date, you can update it. See
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/32019623/openssl-error-messages-error14090086ssl-routinesssl3-get-server-certificate
for an example, be sure to take it only from curl.

groupphp-windows @
categoriesphp
postedMar 2, '16 at 7:45p
activeMar 5, '16 at 1:37a