On Feb 15, 2016 1:15 PM, "Yasuo Ohgaki" wrote:
Hi all,

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 12:49 PM, Stanislav Malyshev
wrote:
Another issue mentioned in this thread is the spurious array conversion
that happens for empty strings. We have an existing bug report for
this:
https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=53432 I've created a PR to fix this
issue: https://github.com/php/php-src/pull/1764 If there are no
objections, I'll merge this for 7.1 as well.
This one looks like a bug, converting string to array is really weird.
And one more reason to never use [] for string offsets - clearly, the
bug stems out of confusion between arrays operation (which expects
conversion to array) and string operation (which expects string).
In any case, this needs a note in UPGRADING as behavior change.
I fully agree {} and [] usage.
- {} only for string
- [] only for array
Simple is better if it satisfies all of our needs.

Since PHP allowed [] for strings, how about allow it, but deprecate it
by doc in 7.1, deprecate(Raise error) it in 7.2, then remove it by
7.3?
If anything then it can be removed by 8.