On 13 October 2014 20:47, Stas Malyshev wrote:

Yes, we can rewrite these functions in userland. So we can may others.
The long standing tradition of PHP in this area is to go the extra mile
for the user and actually provide helpful functions

My point is that providing them as "userland implementation" even inside
core would be more interesting than having something magic going on under
the hood.
Yes, I realize that complete removal would completely kill PHP's adoption
for the next version, so I'm thinking about something like an ini setting:

"zeh_legacy_includeh = '/zeh/path/to/old/functions.php';"

Stupid idea?
Security implications?
And of course "yet another ini setting".

Yet this would allow removing a lot of internal functions that were written
just for the sake of it, and move them to something that can be maintained
by a larger userbase.

Marco Pivetta

http://twitter.com/Ocramius

http://ocramius.github.com/