Seems like a natural fit to me.

Does it also work with the new foreach/list combo?

foreach ($array as list(&$a, $b)) {}

--
Matthew Leverton
On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 12:50 PM, Andrea Faulds wrote:
Good evening everyone,

I have a simple suggestion for a feature addition, which I have already
implemented. Over 13 years ago, someone suggested adding support for
assigning by reference in list(), with the following syntax:

$arr = [1, 2]
list(&$a, $b) = $arr;

Which would be equivalent to:

$a = &$arr[0];
$b = $arr[2];

Their request is here: https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=6768

It seemed like a useful feature, so I implemented it. The syntax is a little
unusual, in that normally you do $a = &$b, and with list() you'd do
list(&$a) = [$b], but I don't think there's a better syntax for it that
allows you to set some variables as references, but not all.

The patch is here:
https://github.com/TazeTSchnitzel/php-src/compare/ListByReference

If people think it is useful, I'll write an RFC soon.

Andrea Faulds
http://ajf.me/