Good evening everyone,

I have a simple suggestion for a feature addition, which I have already
implemented. Over 13 years ago, someone suggested adding support for
assigning by reference in list(), with the following syntax:

      $arr = [1, 2]
      list(&$a, $b) = $arr;

Which would be equivalent to:

      $a = &$arr[0];
      $b = $arr[2];

Their request is here: https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=6768

It seemed like a useful feature, so I implemented it. The syntax is a
little unusual, in that normally you do $a = &$b, and with list() you'd
do list(&$a) = [$b], but I don't think there's a better syntax for it
that allows you to set some variables as references, but not all.

The patch is here:
https://github.com/TazeTSchnitzel/php-src/compare/ListByReference

If people think it is useful, I'll write an RFC soon.

Andrea Faulds
http://ajf.me/

groupphp-internals @
categoriesphp
postedOct 23, '13 at 5:50p
activeOct 23, '13 at 6:07p
websitephp.net

2 users in discussion

Andrea Faulds: 2 posts Matthew Leverton: 1 post