Mostly it is that a new syntax will confuse people and add complexity
that PHP doesn't need. The same people don't believe that annotations
bring value worthy of adding a new syntax. Short array notation and
similar are noted as precedence.

That is a bulk of the arguments, but if I have forgotten any please
state them.

-Alec