On 27/03/2008, Lokrain wrote:
Hello Internals,

This discussion was very interesting to me so I made some research about all
languages OOP.
Each time I saw definition of public, protected, private there was an
explanation which never
mentioned instances, but classes. I certainly thought that Richard is right
saying:

Surely it shouldn't work at all unless the $foo === $this?

I was even amazed that I haven't thought about this ever...and the
conclusion of my research
is that as, like Stanislav said, this keywords(public, etc) are for classes
not for instances...

I learned something new today :) Thanks for this discussion.

Best Regards, Dimitar Isusov
My confusion was that I assumed public/protected/private related to
instances and not classes. Whilst I accept that this is the way it is,
it doesn't FEEL right that one instance of class foo can call a
protected member of class bar because class bar extended class foo
along the way.

If they were static calls, that SORT of makes more sense to me.

I suppose this lack of understanding comes from only being self-taught.

--
-----
Richard Quadling

groupphp-internals @