I'm not completely sure, but I think they're talking shite. If curl is
a security problem, then disable curl. They seem from what you've
said, to be pretty irrational. I respect security paranoia, but this
is ridicules.

You could try replacing every letter in the word curl with it's &#xxx;
equivlent, but that might not work. You would also have to do it in
JS, although I think that any browser with the exception on lynx has
JS capabilities.