Yes... I know. PHP 4.2.2 is old, and probably has holes. I apologize
in advance, and I couldn't find any details in the docs, or in the
list archives.

SO:
In the course of upgrading another program to it's current rev, I
just upgraded an inherrited machine to PEAR 1.4.8. The req's say
PHP 4.2 needed. All files, other than PHPUnit, were installed OK.

I try to use their configtest tool, and now I get trouble. Before
upgrading PEAR from 1.3.x (Can't remember the prior version), I used
to see no problems.

Now.. I get an error:
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: file_get_contents() in /usr/
share/pear/PEAR/Installer/Role.php on line 232

It seems to me, (uninformed though I am) that the current rev of PEAR
uses a file_get_contents(), which is only supported in PHP 4.3 & higher.
Is this file part of some other package?

Also, the current File package says compatable with PHP 4.2, but
optionally with 4.3. PEAR won't install File, because I don't have 4.3.

I'm sorry to be a bother, but I've tried pretty hard to find the
right answers. I'm happy to downgrade, or whatever, to get back to a
working system. This is going to be a big problem in the morning.......

Anyone have any ideas? or thoughts?

Installed packages, channel pear.php.net:
Package Version State
Archive_Tar 1.3.1 stable
Console_Getopt 1.2 stable
DB 1.7.6 stable